Just like your car, you need to warm it up before going for a drive. Your body is the same way. You need to train like an athlete! Warm-up to prepare yourself both physically and as well mentally for the WOD!
The right warm-up should do two things: loosen muscles and tendons to increase the range of motion, and literally warm up the temperature of your body.
A warm-up should increase your body heat and blood flow. Warm muscles and dilated blood vessels pull oxygen from the bloodstream more efficiently and use body stored nutrients more effectively.
Warm-ups also help to reduce the risk of injury. As well, you could recognize injury or illness during your warm up which could prevent further injury.
Other benefits of a proper warm-up include:
- Increased movement of blood through your tissues, making the muscles more flexible.
- Increased delivery of oxygen and nutrients to your muscles. Prepares your muscles for stretching
- Prepares your heart for an increase in activity, preventing a rapid increase in blood pressure
- Prepares you mentally for the upcoming exercise
- Primes your nerve-to-muscle pathways to be ready for exercise
- Improved coordination and reaction times
Just like our WOD’s, everyday the warm-up should be different. Alittle of the same, but different.